Tuesday, November 4, 2014

I am a CYBORG

I am a cyborg. This means I add components to adapt to my environment. For many of us current cyborgs, this means adding technology. Devices. We have adapted to our environment by stuffing our bags and pockets with devices. I have long since hated these devices. I find it saddening to pass people on campus wearing headphones drowning out the humans around them. It's disturbing to find myself at church surrounded by people farming on facebook, scrabble-ing with friends, or mastering whatever new version/modification of tetris. And I am shocked to hear stories of parents who neglect to tend to their children and instead quiet them with an iPad or computer game. Technology is taking the human out of us. An article at casacolumbia.org states that 1 in 7 people is infected with technological addiction. Humans are losing their jobs, corrupting their marriages, and letting their lives decay. I need to remind myself sometimes what is to gain? I do firmly believe lives can and are being improved by some implementations of technology. But will somebody please show me how? casacolumbia.org

1 comment:

  1. I've started seeing this creep into my life. I have personally made a few rules for myself regarding technology, and one of those is if I hear my daughter crying, I put down what ever I have and I go see if I can be of service to my wife. If my wife asks me to do something, I put down what ever I have and I do it. I feel that it is a lack of self control that is giving these devices so much power to rule our lives.

    ReplyDelete